BlackPast.org Facebook BlackPast.org Twitter

Donate to BlackPast.org Donate to BlackPast.org

NOTE: BlackPast.org will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

6 + 6 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Shop Amazon and help BlackPast.org

Blackpast.org in the Classroom/ border=

Harris, Barbara C. (1930- )

Image Courtesy of Church
of Alban the Martyr,
Diocese of Long Island

Religious leader Barbara Clementine Harris was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Walter and Beatrice (Price) Harris on June 12, 1930. After graduating from the Charles Morris Price School of Advertising and Journalism, she joined Joseph V. Baker Associates, Inc., a black-owned public relations firm in Philadelphia. She became president of the company in 1958 but left ten years later to become director of the Community Relations Department of the Sun Oil Company.

Meanwhile, Harris, an Episcopalian, was a volunteer at her church and in local jails and prisons. In 1960 she joined the activist Church of the Advocate in North Philadelphia. That church had become a center for the civil rights movement then evolving in Philadelphia, supported both local protests and the national movement. Harris led a church delegation that marched with Dr. Martin Luther King in Selma in 1965. Three years later the church hosted a national convention of the Black Panther Party (BPP), which attracted ten thousand people.

Meanwhile, Harris remained active locally, assisting the poor in a “soup kitchen” and in orphanages, including one she helped to desegregate. Despite her church leadership she noted that the national Episcopal Church discriminated against women in its own ranks. As late as 1970 they could become deacons, but not priests. Harris and others opposed this policy.

In 1976, the Episcopal Church voted to admit women as priests. About the same time, Harris decided to study for the priesthood. She left her job at Sun Oil to devote full time to her religious training. After completing a seminary course, in the evenings, on weekends, and on vacations, Harris was ordained a priest in October 1980.

Harris served as priest-in-charge of St. Augustine of Hippo Church in Norristown, Pennsylvania from 1980 to 1984. She was also a chaplain in the Philadelphia County prison during those years. In 1984, she was named executive director of the Episcopal Church Publishing Company. There she gained national notice as columnist, editor, and publisher of The Witness, an independent, liberal, church periodical. In her writings Harris attacked all forms of racial, economic, and political injustices. Harris was also a member of the Union of Black Episcopalians and president of the Episcopal Urban Caucus.

In 1988 Anglican bishops from throughout the world met in Canterbury, England for the Lambeth Conference, the once-a-decade gathering of the international Anglican hierarchy. They agreed, over strong objections of many conservatives, to leave the question of the ordination of female bishops up to each national church. On September 24, 1988, the U.S. Episcopal Church voted by a slim margin to elect Barbara Harris Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Massachusetts, where she had moved in 1984. On February 11, 1989, Barbara Harris was consecrated a bishop, the first woman to be ordained in the worldwide Anglican Church.

As Bishop, Harris continued to advocate for diversity in the Episcopal Church and the entire Anglican community. Her command of a 96,000-member Boston-based diocese now made her a powerful voice in deciding church policy and programs. Nonetheless she remained an activist critic of the status quo. Bishop Barbara Harris retired on November 1, 2002.

Sources:
Alton Hornsby, Jr. and Angela M. Hornsby-Gutting, From the Grassroots: Profiles of Contemporary African American Leaders (Montgomery: E-BookTime LLC, 2006); “Biography of Bishop Harris,” Episcopal Diocese of Washington, http://www.edow.org/diocese/bishops/harris_bio.html.

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2011 - BlackPast.org v2.0 | blackpast@blackpast.org | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement

BlackPast.org is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. BlackPast.org is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.