BlackPast.org, Remembered and Reclaimed:
An Online Reference Center for African American History Developed by Dr. Quintard Taylor and Associates
501(c)(3) Status Achieved March 28, 2008
BlackPast.org (www.blackpast.org), founded on February 1, 2007, is broadly conceived to provide reference information on people of African ancestry in the United States and around the world. BlackPast.org is supported by a volunteer staff of twelve and nearly 500 volunteer contributors from six continents. The website has more than 10,000 pages and is free and unrestricted. New features are added regularly.
- An online encyclopedia featuring nearly 3,000 entries which describe people, places and events in African American and global African history.
- Perspectives Online Magazine which features commentary on important but little known events in African American history often written by individuals who participated in or witnessed them. To date more than 100 articles have appeared.
- The complete text of nearly 300 speeches by African Americans and other people of African ancestry from 1789 to 2012.
- More than 140 full text Primary Documents—court decisions, laws, organizational statements, treaties, government reports, and executive orders.
- Nine major timelines that show the history of people of African ancestry from five million B.C.E. to today.
- Nine bibliographies listing more than 5,000 major books categorized by author, title, subject, and date of publication.
- Six “Gateway” Pages with links to digital archive collections, African and African American museums and research centers, genealogical research websites, and more than 200 other website resources on African American and global African history.
- Special Features include By the Numbers, 101 African American Firsts, Major Black Officeholders since 1641, The Barack Obama Page, The BlackPast.org Blog Roll and links to all of the major newspapers, magazines, and journals of African America, Africa, and the West Indies.
BlackPast.org Website Statistics:
Total Visits for 2007 (First year)
Total Visits for 2009
Total Visits for 2011