BlackPast.org Facebook BlackPast.org Twitter

Donate to BlackPast.org BlackPast Blog
  • African American History
  • African American History in the West
  • Global African History
  • Perspectives

NOTE: BlackPast.org will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

9 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Shop Amazon and help BlackPast.org

Blackpast.org in the Classroom

Kansas Industrial and Educational Institute (1895-1919)

Kansas Industrial and Educational Institute (1895-1919)
Kansas Industrial and Educational Institute,  ca. 1905
Image Ownership: Public Domain

The institute was known in Topeka as the “Western Tuskegee,” was the result of  the work of Lizzie Riddick, a prominent member of the Colored Women’s Suffrage Association, and Edward Stephens.  Riddick and Stephens successfully enlisted the support of Booker T. Washington and later the state of Kansas to establish the second oldest black college in Kansas (the first was Freedmen’s University, 1863).

Riddick and Stephens were elementary school teachers who in 1895 founded the kindergarten, sewing school, and reading room in Mud Town, an area of Topeka originally settled by black Exodusters from Mississippi and Louisiana in 1879.  Booker T. Washington visited Topeka and endorsed their efforts in 1897, and in 1898, with funds from the black community, they purchased a building in the heart of Topeka's African American black business district on Kansas Avenue.  The State of Kansas gave them $1,500 the following year.  In 1900, Washington sent Tuskegee graduate William Carter to be the Institute's first president and the faculty began teaching industrial arts and scientific agriculture.    

In 1903, the Institute relocated on 105 acres of farmland one and a half miles east of Topeka on one of the few elevated areas that had views of the surrounding agricultural expanse in east Kansas.  It began training black farmers throughout the state in scientific agriculture and starting in 1910, it sponsored the Sunflower State Agricultural Association as part of its agricultural extension service.  The Institute thus became an important link between black Topeka and African American farmers throughout the state.  

The State of Kansas also continued its financial and administrative support through a legislature appointed committee.  Tuskegee supporter, Andrew Carnegie sent $15,000 to fund construction on the campus between 1908 and 1911.  In 1917, the former director of agricultural department at Tuskegee, George Bridgeforth, became president.  He established a hospital and nursing school for the Institute with the support of Kansas politicians including Governor Arthur Capper.  In 1919, the State of Kansas which by this point had become the principal contributor to the Institute's budget, assumed full control and renamed it the Kansas Vocational Institute.

Sources:
Quintard Taylor, In Search of the Racial Frontier: African Americans in the American West 1528-1990 (New York: W.W. Norton and Co., 1998); Thomas C. Cox, Blacks in Topeka, Kansas, 1865-1915: A Social History (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1982).

Contributor:

University of Washington, Seattle

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2017 - BlackPast.org v3.0 NDCHost - California | blackpast@blackpast.org | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement

BlackPast.org is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. BlackPast.org is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.