BlackPast.org Facebook BlackPast.org Twitter

Donate to BlackPast.org BlackPast Blog
  • African American History
  • African American History in the West
  • Global African History
  • Perspectives

NOTE: BlackPast.org will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

9 + 8 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Shop Amazon and help BlackPast.org

Blackpast.org in the Classroom

Camp George Jordan

Image Ownership: Public Domain
Camp George Jordan was a United States Army facility established in Seattle, Washington, during World War II.  It was generally known as a Black army camp, because it was segregated in such a way that the African Americans were housed on one side of the street – referred to as “Camp Jordan proper”, and the white personnel on the other side.  It was located on the south side of Spokane Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues.

Originally referred to as the First Avenue Camp, Camp Jordan was established by the U.S. Army’s Port of Embarkation Administration in July 1942.  It was eventually operated as a trucking company to transport troops to and from Fort Lawton and Fort Lewis to the ships for overseas duty.

In November 1943, the First Avenue Camp was officially named in honor of a member of the 9th U. S. Cavalry (“Buffalo Soldiers”), Sergeant George Jordan, an African-American recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor “in recognition of his valor and bravery above and beyond the call of duty.”

Camp Jordan remained an active facility throughout World War II until it was declared surplus in March 1947.

Sources:
Personal interview with Marjorie Polk Sotero, Seattle, Washington, for the Black Heritage Society, 2002; Personal interview with Rev. Eugene Drayton, Seattle, Washington, September, 2006; Declassified material housed at the National Archives and Records Administration -Pacific-Alaska Region (Seattle) [including Port of Embarkation General Orders]; Ulysses Lee, “US Army in World War II, Special Studies,” Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 66-60003, First Printed 1966.

Contributor:

Black Genealogy Research Group

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2017 - BlackPast.org v3.0 NDCHost - California | blackpast@blackpast.org | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement

BlackPast.org is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. BlackPast.org is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.