BlackPast.org Facebook BlackPast.org Twitter

Donate to BlackPast.org BlackPast Blog
  • African American History
  • African American History in the West
  • Global African History
  • Perspectives

NOTE: BlackPast.org will not disclose, use, give or sell any of the requested information to third parties.

1 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Shop Amazon and help BlackPast.org

Blackpast.org in the Classroom

Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Richmond, Indiana (1836- )

"Image Ownership: Public Domain"
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, organized in September 1836 in Richmond, Indiana, is the oldest still-operating black congregation in the state of Indiana. It was organized by AME missionary William Paul Quinn, one of dozens of churches he founded during his life; Quinn would later make his permanent home in Richmond.

The church began with 54 members.  Its first permanent building was a relocated two-story frame warehouse which was then renovated by the congregation into a church and school. In the first half of the nineteenth century, African Americans had few opportunities for state-sponsored education in the Midwest, so churches such as Bethel AME provided educational services. As a city founded and largely populated by abolitionist Quakers, Richmond was a haven for free blacks in the nineteenth century. Bethel AME Church served as the socio-cultural center of the African American community in Richmond.

In 1868, the local Hicksite Friends congregation gifted to Bethel AME its church building at 200 South Sixth Street in Richmond when the Friends new meetinghouse was completed. The church maintains its location there today. The building donated by the Friends was originally built for the local German Methodist Church in 1854. In 1869, the Bethel AME congregation purchased the lot the building stands on from the German Methodist Church, which had continued maintaining official ownership to that point.  Bethel AME purchased the lot for $3,500.

In 1891, James W. Townsend, the former United States Recorder of Deeds in the General Land Office during the administration of President Benjamin Harrison, was appointed pastor of Bethel AME. Under his leadership, the congregation spent three years remodeling the church building from a simplistic classical style into an ornate Romanesque Revival style, doubling its size. The church later added additional office space.

The church’s current building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sources:
Office of Archeology and Historic Preservation, “Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church,” Historic American Buildings Survey (Washington, DC: National Park Service, Department of the Interior, 1974), http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/in/in0000/in0088/data/in0088data.pdf; No Author Given, History of Wayne County, Indiana (Chicago: Interstate Publishing Company, 1884).

Contributor:

University of Washington, Seattle

Entry Categories:

Copyright 2007-2017 - BlackPast.org v3.0 NDCHost - California | blackpast@blackpast.org | Your donations help us to grow. | We welcome your suggestions. | Mission Statement

BlackPast.org is an independent non-profit corporation 501(c)(3). It has no affiliation with the University of Washington. BlackPast.org is supported in part by a grant from Humanities Washington, a state-wide non-profit organization supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the state of Washington, and contributions from individuals and foundations.